Sunday, January 25, 2015

40k Project: Sorcerer and Cultists

This stuff take me forever, I'm slow at typing and even slower at composing the stuff to type. Hopefully this post will be short and sweet! For real, this time...

Getting the description out of the way...

This is a Chaos Space Marine Sorcerer made from the Space Marine Librarian (good guy version of a Sorcerer) from the Dark Vengeance starter set.

His the horn protruding from his hood is from the Dark Vengeance Chaos Space Marine Lord, as is his sword. A lot of the flames were added to obscure the fact the Chaos Lord's was holding the sword in his right hand, and the rest was originally a big tassel adorning the end of the sword (it was held pointing downward).

Portions of the robes were added with greenstuff, the part on the chest to cover up the Dark Angels iconography, and the lower parts to cover up the fact that this stock sculpt has ridiculously out-of-proportion anatomy, even for Games-workshop. His head is literally taller than his torso...

In effort to make him even more recognizably human, I gave him a Plague Marine style gut-plate at an appropriate stomach level.

The spilling cauldron is from the Night Goblin Fanatics plastic kit. The parts the chain attaches to are styrene tube, and the chain is jeweler's chain.

The left pauldron has a lot of greenstuff on it. I made it all weird and drippy, and put a Nurgle emblem on it that's oozing out more drips... It turned out OK... It'll look better painted, I suspect.

The Familiar is my favorite part! He is an upgrade (in the form of a little demon friend) purchasable for some amount of points, and aids the Sorcerer's spell-casting ability in some way.

 Hero Quest was sort of a dungeon-crawler board game version of Warhammer, and after they stopped making Hero Quest, they sold they various figures from it in little sample packs along with tiny things of paint and a brush for people who were just getting into the hobby.

 This guy started as a ordinary Bat, the sort an adventurer might kill as their first ever adventure. Then I sculpted a big cyclops eye on him, and DONE! Perfect. He sits on a length of brass rod connected to the sorcerer's backpack, and I've left him unglued in case point restraints don't permit his use in-game.





Here's the original. He's really all legs!


 While we're at it, I'll throw in these guys...

Cultists. I'm a big fan of these models, in fact they sold me on Dark Vengeance. Because I was already so fond of them, and because they are supposed to be expendable troops without any real value in combat compared to the Chaos Space Marines they idolize, I didn't modify these models at all.

I did actually start painting them, though :)

They have most of the base colors blocked in, and several layers on the metal parts (meant to be super rusty). Oh, and I painted the bases to completion.
 

Just the stock 10-man Autogun Cultists, with Leader with shotgun, and a heavy-stubber as 
their special weapon.


...And the stock 10-man Autopistol and Close Combat Weapon Cultists, with Leader with weird finger claws and no gun at all on the model, and a flamer as their special weapon. Also...

.... I expanded their numbers out to 11... the extra stand-in is a female cultist, originally a House Escher Juve from Necromunda (Games-workshop's skirmish-level game set in the 40k universe), with an armored gauntlet arm from the Empire Knights multi-part plastic kit. So, she doesn't actually have a gun either, just a sickle and a giant gauntlet...

****Before anyone berates me for cutting the arm off of an out-of-production model for such an uninspired conversion, I'll have you know that I cut the arm off years ago, when the model was not out-of-production, for a totally different conversion, as part of an entirely different army!****

She actually used to have a cloak wrapped around her armless side (some of my very earliest work with greenstuff, my fingerprints were all over it!) and a different incomplete paint job when she was a female Necromancer in my Lahmian Vampire Counts army. The gauntlet was literally the best I could do with the parts I had for this project.

---------------------------------------------------

So, yeah. Not too bad this time, I always type a lot more than I think I will though! Oh well.

Hey, listen, if you thought anything I've posted so far was even kinda cool, you'll freak when you see what's coming! Don't touch that dial,  I've been saving my best stuff for last. The posts that follow will showcase models that are a greater percentage scratch-built and/or sculpted by me!



No comments:

Post a Comment